23 October 2007

A good Tailor

A gentleman knows the value of a good tailor, and upon finding one develops that relationship as he would any business relationship.

I'm at a bit of a loss today. You see after 12 years of building my relationship with my tailor, he's retiring. I can't blame him for retiring, as he said, he has his health, he owns the building he's in and he's selling at a good time. He plans on traveling once again as he did when he was a young man. I do wish him the best, and while I suspect he won't be having quite the same time he did as a young man traveling the world, I know he and his wife will enjoy themselves.

As I think about how to find a good tailor now, I can't help but think back to finding J. J is a third generation tailor, and it showed. His skill and craftsmanship were excellent. In an area with as many tailor shingles out as attorney shingles, where it's equally hard finding a good one of either, it was with some relief that I happened upon J by referral. Over the years we built a good relationship, he may not have always remembered my name (I didn't visit that often) but he always remembered me. We would talk about his family, he would inquire of mine and ask about my hobby (that he could always remember, and my latest exploits with it). When I let him know I was planning a trip to Italy he put me in touch with some people who made sure I would have a good time.

There are a number of sites on the internet about the tailoring of clothes, but the key thing for the Gentleman to remember is to build a relationship. This will be a key relationship for you for many years to come. Your tailor can make a $500 suit look like a $1500 suit, or a $5000 suit look like a $5 suit (but only if you upset him).

Recommendations are the best way to find a tailor, but not the only thing to go on. I was once referred to a tailor who has a nice little shop, with outrageous prices, and pictures of all the famous people he's fitted on his wall. I don't dispute the work was first rate, but I could tell that an 'average joe' like me was never going to build a proper relationship with him.

A good tailor should listen to what you like, which means asking you some questions about the way you like to wear your clothes. He'll perhaps be a little fussy, you may see him give some customers a hard time about wearing track shoes when they're trying to get trousers fitted, or wearing a tee-shirt when fitting a jacket. Of course a Gentleman knows these things in advance and will thus dress appropriately for his fitting. He'll be wearing the shoes he intends to wear with the trousers being fitted, it's important to help with the length and the break. Likewise he'll wear a proper dress shirt when having a jacket fitted.

A good tailor should be willing to let you put the items in your pockets that you would normally carry. It will help him figure out the adjustments needed so that you look good, even when you're carrying a phone and pda in your breast pockets. If you doubt the ability of a tailor to account for your "necessities" just pay close attention to the way suits fit Secret Service agents. If a good tailor can hide a piece, he can hide a cell phone and pda.

If you ask questions about how he got into the trade he'll usually be all too happy to proudly tell you, if your question is genuine. Of course being a gentleman, you will always treat your tailor, and anyone you encounter, as an equal at the least. Remember your tailor is considerably more capable at the task at hand than you are. The tailor is a skilled craftsman, and artist really, and as such deserves your respect. I saw far too many people treat J with just a feigned respect, and it showed. Don't do it. Be sincere! One last piece of advice, if your tailor is a small business person, as many are, pay in cash.

I'm going to miss J, but I'm hoping he'll be back too. Over a spiked espresso in the rear of his shop he hinted to me that after he was done traveling he just might open a new shop. I certainly hope he does.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/7/11 02:17

    I enjoyed your article very much. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us how gentlemen should be dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice article, every tailor is a good tailor who pays full attention to measurements which are very important phase of your custom clothing....thanks for sharing the article

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points. Too many people today don't bother adjusting a garment. I am always telling my customers: "clothes come in standard sizes but people do not. Your item might need alterations to fit perfectly."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are moderated so please be patient while I review the comment and then post it.