13 September 2009

Cash and its many uses...

It's been said many times and many ways that cash is King. However this post is not about the golden rule (he who has the gold makes the rules); it is about the usefulness of cash.

I think I have avoided this post in the past because I presumed that this was a well known fact of life. Recent events however made it clear to me that it is not standard operating procedure for all men.

I suggest that a gentleman carry cash so that he may properly be prepared for the unpleasantness that life will sometimes put in his way. Allow me to provide some examples from own life that will help demonstrate the usefulness of hard currency.

Many years ago I attended a singles wine mixer with a friend. The mixer was oversubscribed and there was a significant lack of room available for comfortable movement. As is likely to happen in such situations people were bumping into one another with nary an apology. As I am not one to gulp wine, which of course should never be done, I was still working a rather full glass of a forgettable red wine (that should give you an indication of how bad it was, I cannot even remember the type). Inevitably I was bumped and much to my dismay I did not manage to spill the wine upon myself. No, the bump jostled me left to right and thus caused a few ounces of wine to escape my glass and land upon the trouser of a young woman standing near.

Now in my young age I did not know much, however I did know that red wine stained and should be treated promptly. I interrupted the young lady's conversation and informed her of the events that had just transpired and where the stain was on the back of her leg. I offered to pay for the dry cleaning bill and handed her a twenty as compensation for that bill. She proceeded to call me a few choice names and then departed, I presume for the ladies room to dab some water on the stain.

Other occasions where cash has come in handy, while out to dinner with my wife. We had gone to a new restaurant and just ordered our drinks when we discovered exactly how noisy the room was. The restaurant was not crowded in many way, it had very poor acoustics. My wife and I sitting opposite each other at a small table could not hear each other, but could hear the soft whispers of the couple on the other side of the room. While I am sure that such an arrangement is helpful for someone, somewhere, it was not helpful at all for us. We were looking for a quiet romantic restaurant. By having cash I was able to call the waiter over and pay for our small bill without an undue delay while a credit card was charged etc.

Cash is also very handy when out with a group of people and you need or want to leave early before the check has arrived. If you have paid attention to the cost of items on the menu you can be sure to leave enough cash. A few months ago some co-workers of mine gathered at a local watering hole after work. I had a prior engagement later that evening and knew I would be leaving before the gang left. I was mindful of the menu prices when I ordered an appetizer and a drink. This allowed me to leave the gathering at my convenience and put enough cash on the table to cover my portion of the bill. As I laid the money on the table I was assured by the group it was too much, I assured them it was fine and parted company.

There we have three occasions offering us reasons to be sure to carry cash. How much you should carry depends on several factors, how much you can, where you are and the relative prices of things, etc. On some days you may need to carry more than on other days.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. On the one hand, as you correctly point out, having cash allows one to handle many kinds of social situations with ease. On the other hand, isn't there something, I don't know, boorish about cash? It's a dilemma: Cash means you're always prepared, but then putting down a gold card when the bill comes seems to have a bit more panache than counting out 20's.

    A friend of mine was once in Japan on business, and he says that the Japanese consider overt payments of any kind to be somewhat gauche. At least in business situations, things are paid for out of sight -- put on an expense account, or at the very least not done in front of the person for whom you're paying. I see the point of this. Compared to the civility of good company or correct business manners, "payment" of any kind seems, well, a bit unseemly.

    But one thing is true: Having cash at the right moment, in the right amount so that you don't have to ask or wait for change, certainly does make one look rather gentlemanly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rogue, thank you for that insight into another culture. You bring up an excellent point, that payment practices vary around the world. This is something else that the world traveling gentleman will need to consider and research before their travels.

    As for the final bill when out, you are also correct, counting out a wad of twenties is at the minimum awkward. Now about that gold card? Surely you mean Black card, or at the very least a platinum card. I jest of course, but I am certain you will admit they have a good deal more panache, if that is what you are going for.

    I just now remembered another story, which goes to your card advocacy. I'll post that soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are moderated so please be patient while I review the comment and then post it.