07 June 2009

"Buy American, The job you save may be your own."

The title of today's blog was a popular bumper sticker in the early 1980's with union workers. This past Memorial Day weekend I saw it on back window of a newer Chevy pickup in Ohio.

Although I don't work in the manufacturing fields, I can't say I disagree with the sentiment. A few years ago I was in favor of persuading my employer to offer a telecommuting program. However, before I got too far into it I realized that if they thought I could do my job remotely, how long would it be before they off-shored my job?

Back to the bumper sticker. I've been considering the purchase of another vehicle for my household. The current economic crisis has made it a good time to buy if you happen to be fortunate enough to have an income and a good credit score. More specifically I've been thinking about buying a GM pickup truck. What I've discovered is that in all probability the Chevy pickup sporting that "Buy American" bumper sticker, was most likely made in Mexico. It seems that all of the GM trucks I've been looking at were assembled in Mexico. I should mention that I've owned three prior GM vehicles, 1 made in the USA (Janesville, Wisconsin) and 2 made in Canada.

Moral of this tale? Be careful of what bumper stickers you choose.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't there something fundamentally "ungentlemanly" about bumper stickers? I've always felt that while people are entitled to their opinions, and are certainly free to express them, there's something a bit one sided, presumptions and, as a result, ungentlemanly about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rogueregime If only the world thought about them the way you do. You are quite right bumper stickers are perhaps not the best way to express ones views and certainly should not be on the bumper, or any other part, of a gentleman or gentlewoman's vehicle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are moderated so please be patient while I review the comment and then post it.